The village, which largely comprises a single main street (A85), was developed in the 19th Century as a jute and linen manufacturing settlement and a railway junction.
A village in central Perth and Kinross, situated between the River Almond and the Pow Water 5 miles (8 km) west of Perth. A Collegiate Church, of which only a fragment remains, was founded here in 1433 by Walter Stewart, Earl of Atholl, and in the churchyard is a magnificent mausoleum built in the form of a Greek temple to a design by James Playfair in 1793. Nearby is the restored Methven Castle where Margaret, widow of King James IV, died in 1540.
A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885. This can be found on The Gazetteer of Scotland website. Please note the copyright on all material on this website.
The Battle of Methven re-enactment day went very well in beautiful weather. It could have been better supported but great thanks must be given to all the villagers who did turn out for the day, and to all the visitors from out with Methven who made this a most memorable occasion. We are in the process of putting together some photos pages and information for anyone interested in the day.
The bar was well stocked and very well looked after by the owners of The Bell Tree pub in Methven. Soft drinks, teas and coffees together with a nice selection of cakes was provided by The Pantry in Methven. For those interested in food, one could not ask for a better example of cooking on a medieval spit roast.
© 2013 Tower IT Consulting Ltd